Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

First Grade Fall Trees

First grade students created beautiful fall trees using a variety of materials.

A couple weeks before starting this lesson it was my luck to read Tisha’s blog post; http://tishalou.blogspot.com/2011/11/vaea-presentation-artful-power-of.html which was chock full of great book-art lesson connections. I found the book; “A tree is Nice” listed, and found it in my school library. What a great start to the lesson! It inspired some great discussions with my students.

On their white paper, students drew trees that had branches reaching out. (I did a simplified “V” tree demo.) After that we got out our crayons and considered all the colors that are on one tree. Students drew vertical lines of crayon colors on their trees.

Next up; paint shirts and watercolors. I gave a demo on mixing colors, how to clean off a color if it has a mixed color on it, and dragging the brush across the paper instead of scrubbing it on the paper.

Wow, first graders really love to paint! I went through the procedure of watercolor paint clean up and all stayed calm as everybody did their job.

No comments:

Post a Comment