Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

More Favorite Books for the Art Classroom

I’ll admit here that I’m a book fiend. I’ve built quite a library of titles and usually have some kind of literature link in at least one class I’m teaching every day. Incorporating books is effortless; there are so many titles you can connect to a lesson! Incorporating books is enriching; they provide deeper levels of learning into my lessons.
The following books are a little different from that; I read these titles usually at the end of the class period and they are unrelated to any lesson I am teaching. They provide a quiet teachable moment, a glimpse into the lives of the characters in the book and how their lives are enriched by art, or suggests a creative way of looking at the world.
I’ve listed my top three favorite books in a separate post. They stand out high above the rest of the books in this list (in the opinion of my students and myself) so they needed their own space. But the following seven books have proven to be very popular titles for my students as well, and worth sharing with you.
1. Incredible Ned, by Bill Maynard. Incredible Ned, you can see what he says! This causes a series of comical dilemmas… It’s a rhyming book that’s fun to read out loud, but you can get a little winded! This addresses visual art as a language, a form of expressing yourself.
2. Micawber, by John Lithgow. Micawber the squirrel stumbles upon a museum and to his delight he discovers art supplies waiting for him to explore. The look of sheer delight on that squirrel’s face just amazes my students… they can feel it too!
3. Emma's Rug, by Allan Say. Emma is a young artist that amazes the adults around her with her talent. All goes well until her mother washes her little rug. This addresses the question of where artists get their ideas from.
4. Beautiful Oops!, by Barney Saltzberg. A fun interactive book that celebrates making mistakes and using creative problem solving to inspire artwork.
5. Luke's Way of Looking, by Nadia Wheatley and Matt Ottley. A wonderful story, and great example of how artists use emphasis and contrast to tell a story through pictures.


6. Peter's Painting, by Sally Moss. Richly colored images explore the idea of the more you paint, the more you love painting, and the more your imagination soars.
7. Zoom, by Istvan Banyai. Not a storybook, it’s a wordless book that challenges the point of view of the reader. It’s a fun book that has the reader excited to see what’s coming up on the next page.
8. No One Saw - Ordinary Things Through the Eyes of an Artist, by Bob Raczka. Okay, I snuck this book on the list! It’s celebrates how famous artists found the extraordinary from the ordinary.



Okay, that’s my list… I can’t wait to hear your suggestions to expand it!

1 comment:

  1. I am currently creating an art room library. I will comment my list once it is complete!! My two favorite things in life are Art and Reading, so I am so excited for this!! I am adding some of yours to my list as well! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete